These days Google is more and more interested in humans producing meaningful, rich content on the web. They want to know that website and blog content came from a real person – an author. If you have a blog, or even a WordPress website, be sure you utilize authorship to give yourself an extra SEO bump.
In WordPress there is a Users section in the Admin Console that allows you to create individual users that can publish content on your website or blog. You may currently have a master company login that you publish everything under. However, now it is important that you have individual users, as well, that you can attach to content on your site or blog. Here’s how you do it….
- You can easily add a “new user” with the button at the top or in the side menu for key individuals in your company.
- Once you create a new user (be sure to give them the proper permissions level – admin, editor, etc) and fill out the basic information, hit “save”.
- Once the new user is created it will take you back to the main user section. Click on the user name again to go back into the that user’s profile.
- Back in the new user’s profile you will see there is a series of new fields that can be filled out, such as social media connections, biography, and most importantly down at the bottom, the WordPress SEO Settings section. You want to fill that out as much as you can about yourself.
- The WordPress SEO Settings section is the most important as far as visibility online as the name suggests. Be sure to carefully fill out this section, because Google and other search engines will use this information in search results about your company.
Next steps: using “rel=author” tag , will be covered in an upcoming post.